Monday, June 7, 2010

Still locked-up Update

So, Gess is still in the hospital. They are still keeping an eye on the blood cultures to see if anything grows in the other samples. So far so good on that front. The bad news is that Gess has continued to cough up blood. It has been small amounts...but it is still there. Yesterday he was running a low-grade fever, but that seems to have resolved.

He has been extremely bloated, which is uncomfortable for him. His stomach is noticeably distended and with the spleen pain he had earlier this was of concern. So, they did a CT with contrast today. His abdomen looks fine (thankfully) and the docs think that this could be an after-effect of the presumed virus.

The bad news is that they noticed a spot on his left lung during the CT scan. The pulmonary team is going to discuss this with Gess's primary CF doctor tomorrow, so we'll know more then. He also says that he feels worse today than he has, so that is not a good sign.

We hope he can come home soon, but at the same time, we want to make sure that they figure things out before sending him home. So, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Trying not to freak...

Gess is inpatient (again!) and yesterday we found out that one of his blood cultures was growing something. It was only 1 day out or something, so this was just preliminary. And, it is totally possible that someone contaminated the sample, etc. But...part of me is totally freaked out. We have been down the blood infection route before and it is scary. Please, please, please let it be a contaminated sample!

UPDATE: It is most likely a contaminated sample. Only 1 out of 4 samples is growing this (which appears to be MRSA) and the other 3 are clean. We'll have to wait it out to be sure, but I am feeling so much better about it.